This is the eighteenth in a series which introduces and describes the various dive services and sites for worldwide liveaboard dive safaris. The focus in this one is on Honduras liveaboards.
In addition to this liveaboard series, the best worldwide dive resort locations and services are reviewed in their own series. To check them out, or other liveaboards, click on Liveaboards / Resorts on the menu at the top and choose a title.
Roatan Scuba Diving
Situated at the entrance to the Gulf of Honduras, near the Belize Barrier Reef, Roatan is one of the Bay Islands of Honduras, whose fringing reef is part of the greater Mesoamerican Barrier Reef that runs from Mexico to Panama.
Roatan Dive Site Map
The clear water and generally mild conditions suitable for beginners surrounds healthy coral and rich, fascinating marine life in a setting including walls, canyons, and swim-throughs.
There is great macro life and a variety of reef fishes, eels, large sponges, crabs, lobster, and pristine coral, topped off with turtles, rays, sharks and several wrecks. They run a shark feeding dive with masses of 2-3 meter Caribbean reef sharks swimming among the divers. During the spring and summer whale sharks are often sighted around Utila Island.
Urban centers and dive resorts are located on Roatan and Utila Islands, but to take in the diving further away around Cayos Cochinos and Guanaja, a liveaboard is the best solution.
Diving is year round, but the best weather is from January through September. Visibility is great and water temperatures warm, ranging from 80 to 87°F (27 to 31°C).
For reviews of diving in other Caribbean locations, please check out these posts:
- Scuba Diving Cuba Best Dive Sites Cuba
- Best Cuba Scuba Diving Liveaboard Jardines de la Reina
- Scuba Diving the Dominican Republic
- Best Scuba Diving Panama
- Scuba Diving Cancun Mexico
- Best Scuba Diving Puerto Rico
- Scuba Diving St Vincent and the Grenadines Review
- St. Lucia Scuba Diving Review
- Cozumel Scuba Diving Review
- St. Martin Scuba Diving Review
- Turks and Caicos Scuba Diving Review
- Best Diving Cayman Islands
- Best US Virgin Islands Vacations Scuba Diving
- Best Trinidad and Tobago Vacations Scuba Diving
- Best Caribbean Beach Vacations Curacao Scuba Diving
- Best Caribbean Diving Destinations Aruba
- Best Caribbean Dive Vacations Bonaire
- Best Tropical Island Vacations Dominica Scuba Diving
- Best Caribbean Scuba Diving Los Roques Venezuela
- Barbados Scuba Dive Vacations
- Grenada Scuba Diving Review
- Best Scuba Diving Caribbean – Martinique
- Best British Virgin Island Diving Liveaboard
- Best Bahamas Liveaboard Scuba Vacations
- Best Belize Dive Trips & Cocos Island Diving
- Best Caribbean Liveaboard Dive Trips (several locations)
Roatan Liveaboard Dive Boats
There are only two liveaboards cruising the Roatan Island area. The Roatan Aggressor is part of the very professional and well dispersed Aggressor Fleet. The SV Zeppelin is a small family run yacht operated by a private couple of diving professionals who provide a cozier, more intimate setting with very personal service.
- 8-day itinerary diving Roatan, Utila, Cayos Cochinos and the Sea Mount
- Highlights: whale sharks, Caribbean reef sharks, and bottlenose dolphins, sheer walls, seamounts, mystical wrecks, massive barrel sponges & captivating macro critters
- All dives from mothership with easy entry & exit
- Complete digital photo facility
- Large sun deck with loungers, wet bar
- Beer & wine – complimentary
- Nitrox, rental equipment & courses available
- Satellite email available
- Snorkel & explore secluded beaches
- Nondivers always welcome
|Roatan Aggressor||SV Zeppelin|
|Length||31 m||14 m|
|Equipment||Pricing to be arranged||Free|
|Nitrox||Yes - pricing to be arranged||No|
Roatan Photo Opportunities
With the macro life, beautiful, diverse coral reef and lots of fish, there are many excellent photo opportunities. For information and reviews of diving cameras, click here: Best Underwater Cameras Compared and Reviewed
A cushion for emergencies provides peace of mind when on vacation. I recommend this diving insurance as they have worldwide coverage and provide scuba divers a quality insurance and medical assistance service.
I hope you found this post on Honduras liveaboards interesting and useful. If you have any questions or ideas, please feel free to share them in the comments section. If there is no comments section directly below, click here: >>comments<<