Are you looking for your dream liveaboard? If you would like more details or to make a reservation, click on one of the Dive the World banners located at the bottom of this post and in the right sidebar. Then for this safari, go to Liveaboards / Galapagos.
This is the fourth in a series which introduces and describes the various dive services and sites for worldwide liveaboard dive safaris. This one will focus on the Galapagos Islands, a unique and extremely popular world class area to dive.
In addition to this series on liveaboards, the best worldwide dive resort locations and services are reviewed in their own series. To check them out, or others in this series, click on Liveaboards/Resorts on the menu at top and choose a a title from the list.
Galapagos Liveaboard Diving Sites
Some of the most awe inspiring marine life in the world is found around these 20 volcanic islands. Fortunately the idyllic scene that Darwin originally described is still in excellent condition due to habitation limited to four islands, no commercial fishing and the fact that it is a national park.
The underwater terrain is characterized by volcanic rock with some coral in between that occasionally has heavy currents in the channels and thermoclines. What is truly spectacular and bucket list worthy is the variety of large sea life. Among the non-fish life are penguins, sea lions, fur seals, iguanas, green sea turtles, dolphins and even orcas in the vicinity of Darwin and Wolf Islands. In the ray department are mantas, golden mantas, eagle rays, sting rays and marbled electric rays. Sharks include white and blacktip reef sharks, galapagos sharks, silver sharks, tiger sharks and whale sharks. In the monster fish category are marlin, ocean sunfish (mola mola) and sea bass. In addition are brilliantly colorful reef fish like angelfish, surgeonfish, batfish, wrasses and butterfly fish. Please check out the videos below where you can see examples of practically all of these creatures.
There are warmer and cooler seasons. The warmer season runs from December to May where temperatures range from 22-25 degrees C (71-77 degrees F). A plankton bloom occurs during this time frame which is very attractive to manta rays. From June to November water temperatures drop to 18-23 degrees C (71-77 degrees F). This is the season when you are more likely to see whale sharks, penguins and mola mola and the visibility is from 8-15 meters (26-49 feet). With water this cold 5-7 mm wetsuits with hoods and gloves or even drysuits may be suitable.
For a description and review of cold water gear:
Galapagos Islands Dive Trips – Boats/Tours
The Galapagos Islands are serviced by 9 different boats for liveaboard scuba diving vacations of 6 to 10 days at rates of $243 to $787 daily. Below is the list of vessels and their features. After that are my recommended sample of 5 great boats. To get full information beyond what is presented below on these 5 and their services, use the liveaboard search at the top of the page with Ecuador/Galapagos Islands as the destination.
- Trekking & Diving Tours (from $243 per day)
- Humboldt Explorer (from $637 per day)
- MY Galapagos Master (from $643 per day)
- Ecoventura (from $534 per day)
- MY Astrea (from $593 per day)
- Nortada (from $524 per day)
- Galapagos Sky (from $774 per day)
- Galapagos Aggressor III (from $787 per day)
- MY Majestic Explorer (from $624 per day)
Most Popular – Humboldt Explorer
- Cruises central Galapagos, Wolf & Darwin Islands, Punta Carrion (Sta. Cruz), Cousin’s Rock (Santiago)
- 2 wildlife land tours: North Seymour and Santa Cruz Islands
- Cabins have TV, DVD and en-suite facilities, air-conditioning
- Free local alcohol
- Local Ecuadorian cuisine and international dishes
- Jacuzzi on the sun deck
- Steel-hulled boat with diver safety devices
- 2 Motorized dive dinghies
- Nitrox fills for enriched air certified divers ($150 per tour)
- Experienced English-speaking divemasters: 4-5 divers per DM
- Maximum of 16 guests with 9 staff
Top Rated – Galapagos Sky
- Cruises central Galapagos, Wolf & Darwin Islands, Cabo Marshall, Vicente Roca, Roca Blanca, Cousin’s Rock, Cabo Douglas (iguana dive), Roca Redonda and Isla Pinzon
- 2 morning land tours to Santa Cruz and San Cristobal are also included
- All cabins are ensuite
- Complimentary local alcohol
- Ecuadorian and American main meal dishes
- Dive Alert, SMB, GPS for each buddy pair
- Steel mono-hulled boat
- Complimentary nitrox for EANx-certified divers
- Experienced English-speaking divemasters (up to 8 divers per DM)
- Maximum of 16 guests with 10 staff
Staff Choice – Nortada
- Cruises central Galapagos, Wolf & Darwin Islands, Punta Carrion, Cousin Rock, Cape Douglas, Punta Vincente Roca, Cape Marshall, Puerto Coca, Manta Ray City
- Land visit to Fausto Llerena Breeding Center and Charles Darwin Research Station.
- Maximum of 8 guests only, 7 crew
- 2 divemasters
- Cabins with private bathrooms
- Italian, international and local main meal dishes
- Rebreather and technical diving support
- Nitrox available for enriched air certified divers ($150/7 day tour)
- Nautilus lost diver devices
- 2 motorized dinghies
Most Luxurious – Galapagos Agressor III
- Cruises central Galapagos, Wolf & Darwin Islands, Baltra Island, Punta Carrion, Bartolome Punta, Cabo Marshall, Cabo Douglas, Punta Vicente Roca, Cousins Rock
- 2 land tours.
- All staterooms have ensuite bathrooms
- All cabins have TV and DVD
- Complimentary local beer and local wine
- Italian, Chinese, Japanese and international main meal dishes
- Upper deck hot tub
- Nitrox fills for enriched air certified divers (7 nights $100)
- Experienced English-speaking divemasters (4-5 divers per DM)
- 2 camera tables plus special camera rinse tanks
- 9 crew for a maximum of 16 guests
- 2 motorized dinghies
7-10 Night Cruises – MY Galapagos Master
- 7 and 10 night visits to central Galapagos, Wolf & Darwin Islands, Isla Lobos, Punta Carrion, Seymour North, Mosqueras, Douglas Cape, Punta Vincente Roca, Punta Albermale, Roca Redonda, Cabo Marshall, Tagos Cove, Cousin’s Rock
- 2 land visits
- All cabins have private bathrooms
- Local Ecuadorian fare with Chinese, Italian and international meals and the occasional BBQ
- Local brands of alcohol free
- Steel hulled boat
- 2 motorized dinghies
- Nitrox fills for enriched air certified divers – 7 nights – $150, 10 nights – $200
|Humboldt Explorer||Galapagos Sky||Nortada||Galapagos Agressor III||Galapagos Master|
|Length||32 m||30 m||26 m||30 m||32 m|
Are you looking for your dream liveaboard? If you would like more details or to make a reservation, click on one of the Dive the World banners located at the bottom of this post or in the right sidebar. Then for this safari, go to Liveaboards / Galapagos.
A cushion for emergencies provides peace of mind when on vacation. I recommend this diving insurance as they have worldwide coverage and provide scuba divers a quality insurance and medical assistance service.
I hope you found this post on Galapagos liveaboards interesting and useful. If you have any questions or ideas, please feel free to share them in the comments section. If there is no comments section directly below, click here: >>comments<<