For a general introduction and major facts about wetsuits, please click on my earlier post here: ->>>The Best Scuba Diving Wetsuit – Features and Description<<-
Below is a detailed description and comparison of the 10 best scuba diving wetsuits of 2018. For each wetsuit key features and benefits are outlined. At the end is a comparison chart.
This is a high quality, good value, warm, comfortable and durable wetsuit featuring, flexible bonded thermal knee pads for abrasion resistance and an adjustable velcro collar for a comfortable, stretch fit for all users.
- Constructed from soft and comfortable premium 5mm neoprene material.
- Suitable for warm and cooler waters–design promotes core warmth and flexibility.
- Heavy duty back zipper, velcro collar, and lycra on wrists and ankles
- Glued and sewed seams prevent water from entering suit, keeping you warmer, longer
- Anatomical cut pattern for a comfortable fit
- Spot taped at intersecting seams for long life and durability
- Internal key pocket
- Comes in 3mm, 5mm and 7mm versions
This is a very popular, best selling model that comes in many configurations and thicknesses, with men’s and women’s versions made of flexible and durable nylon II high stretch neoprene. It has high quality materials, design and construction, but at a reasonable price. The Thermoprene has a contoured fit to keep water exchange to a minimum allowing an attractive optimal fit.
- High quality Nylon II Neoprene: 75% more stretch than standard wetsuit material
- GBS-Glued and blind stitched seams
- Adjustable collar
- Zipper tab leash for easy on and off
- Durable knee pads
- Lycra trimmed cuffs
- Spine pad for added warmth
- Available in multiple sizes and 3mm, 5mm and 7mm thicknesses
The Bare Velocity wetsuit provides a great fit with comfort and mobility including features like zippered ankles, a velcro collar and knee pads. Different thicknesses and models for men and women are available. Easy to put on and take off, comfortable and quick drying the Bare Velocity Ultra is one of the most popular wetsuits.
- Bare’s progressive full-stretch neoprene construction
- Seamless underarms for superior comfort when worn on its own, with an additional wet layer or with a BCD
- PROTEKT knee protection provides strong wear resistance
- Heavy duty ankle zippers for easy on and off
- Double glued construction provides well sealed seams
- Comes in 3mm, 5mm and 7mm versions
The Playa is a 2.5 mm shorty that is a great option for tropical dive vacations or when you need an extra layer to wear with another suit. With an anatomical fit and ultraspan neoprene seals on arms and legs it does a good job of keeping your core warm and comfortable.
- Heavy-duty YKK front zipper
- Glued and sewn seams for added strength and durability.
- Suit is available in 5 sizes from S to XXL
- Comes in men’s and women’s versions
Hollis Neo Tek (semi dry suit)
This is a semi dry wetsuit that offers excellent insulation designed to keep you warm during cold water dives and is quite comfortable. Construction includes 8/7/6 mm compression resistent neoprene and a their own LavaSkin inner liner. The horizontal zipper is mounted in front for a good seal and easy on and off.
- two big pockets on the thighs which are handy for carrying accessories
- double-glued seams for maximum protection against water intrusion.
- uses compression-resistant 8/7/6 mm neoprene and the exclusive “ThermaSkin” inner liner.
- Two large pockets for accessories.
- Neck, ankle and wrist internal dams to seal
- Built-in hood
- Comes in 9 different sizes.
This wetsuit puts 3 mm neoprene and a thick, fleecy lining in the torso, tapering to 2 mm neoprene in the wrists and shins. The design allows natural comfortable movement that allows you to stretch with flexibility. Included in the design is a diagonal back zipper that goes from your left to right shoulder. This is superior to the usual zip that runs up the spine and makes the wetsuit much easier to put on and take off. The Everflex was designed with a great deal of attention to detail.
- Made from 100 percent Everflex neoprene
- Assembled using a solvent-free water-based glue that is diver and environmentally friendly
- Multi-thickness panels deliver a superior combination of warmth and flexibility
- Design uses fewer seams and panels for maximum flexibility
- Durable, watertight double blind-stitched outer seams, and comfortable to the skin single blind-stitched inner seams
- Hip-mounted plastic hook for securing a hood or gloves
- Short zipper at the throat, which lets you ease the neck seal for comfort while on the surface
- Effective wrist and ankle seals that use a tapered edge in the 2mm material, stop water penetration and provide a snug fit
- Also comes in 5mm and 7mm models
This well made 3mm wetsuit is warm and comfortable. The aqua flex neoprene has 3 times the stretch of standard neoprene, confirms well to body shape and eliminates the need for ankle or wrist zippers. This design will keep you warmer, as zippers create more water exchange which leads to heat loss. it is ultra easy to put on and take off.
- AqauFlex neoprene used throughout, with nylon outer and inner layers
- Ultra soft inner material for easy on and off
- Skin-in-neck seal provides for a comfortable stretch and seals out water
- The exterior seams are sealed with liquid rubber to block water seepage
- Glued and blind-stitched water tight inner seams
- The front of the torso is lined with a thick insulating panel
- Comes in men’s and women’s versions
- 3mm, 5mm and 7mm models available
The Alize is a relatively low cost comfortable warm water wetsuit. The design is cut and fabricated to conform naturally to the body with effective seals and little water flushing or movement.
- Flexible 3mm neoprene with 2mm at the joints for ease of movement
- Back zip fastener with stop
- Neoprene collar
- Stretch neck flap with velcro pad
- Rolled easy fit edges
- Men’s and women’s versions and 5mm and 7mm models available
This model is very well made, warm and comfortable for a low priced wetsuit. It is rated highly for fit and range of motion with pre-curved elbows and a high-stretch panel on the lower back. Wrist and ankle zippers make donning and doffing easy and rubbery shoulder appliques help keep the BCD straps from moving around.
- Comfortable high-grade neoprene hugs your body and moves with you
- Super-stretch panels in the armpits and lower back maximize flexibility
- Shoulder appliques provide extra durability for scuba diving with a BCD
- Lower-leg sleeves feature compression material to improve blood circulation
- Waffle pattern knee pads protect from abrasion
- Suitable for men and women
- Comes in 3mm, 5mm and 7mm models
For the environmentally conscious, Akona has developed a sort of “green” limestone based neoprene and a four-way stretch nylon weave suitable for the harsher elements of diving. Add to this a unique lamination process that has combined the two to produce one of the most comfortable and best fitting of wetsuits. The extremely flexible material, cut from a design to fit multiple divers and a smooth lining material makes this wetsuit easy to put on and take off.
- Environmentally friendly limestone based neoprene rubber design
- Effectively designed neck and cuff seals
- Rubbery kneepads provide abrasion protection and nonslip traction
- Full length zipper back zipper
- Men’s and women’s versions and 3mm, 5mm and 7mm models available
|Henderson Thermoprene Pro||3-5-7mm||$$$||5|
|Bare Velocity Ultra||3-5-7mm||$$$||5|
|Cressi Playa (Shorty)||2.5mm||$||4.2|
|Hollis Neo Tek||8/7/6mm||$$$$$||4.8|
|Aqua Lung Aqua Flex||3-5-7mm||$$$||4.7|
|Akona Quantum Stretch||3-5-7mm||$$$||4.8|
I hope you found this post on wetsuits interesting and useful. If you have any questions or ideas, please feel free to share them in the comments section. If there is no comments section directly below, click here: >>comments<<